Though it’s a cold and snowy here in Baltimore this morning, we’re hoping to heat things up with Mobtown Modern‘s show tonight at the Contemporary Museum. This article in the Examiner this morning warmed us up a little bit already. For six years, I’ve wanted to hear my friend Ken Ueno perform his work Zansetsu live and tonight I’ll get that chance. If you’ve never heard overtone singing coupled with amplified pop rocks—Xenakis in the mouth, as Ken calls it—then don’t miss the show.
Sounds Like NowA blog by saxophonist Brian Sacawa
Archive for January, 2009
Mobtown Modern returns to the Contemporary Museum this Wednesday for our fourth concert of the season, “More Than Words,” which will take the human voice to the extreme. Here’s our mix tape to help get things started:
Mobtown Mix Tape, Vol. 4: Say What Trax
1. Jennifer Bangley Foster, “Breath Mix 2″
2. Bjork, “Mouth’s Cradle”
3. Cee-Lo Green, “Big Ole Words”
4. The Trashmen, “Surfin’ Bird”
5. Boogie Down Productions, “Breath Control”
6. The Roots, “? vs. Scratch”
7. Cut Chemist, “Motivational Speaker”
8. Prefuse 73, “Whisper In My Ear To Tell Me You Hate Me”
9. J Dilla, “Dilla Says Go”
10. Quasimoto, “Return of the Loop Digga”
11. Brand Nubian, “Word Is Bond”
12. Sage Francis, “Spoken Word From Poetry Slam”
13. Lupe Fiasco, “He Say She Say”
14. Jennifer Bangley Foster, “Swallowing Bells”
15. Jedi Mind Tricks, “Breath of God (interlude)”
16. Wax Tailor, “A Woman’s Voice”
17. DJ Danger Mouse (Jay-Z/The Beatles), “What More Can I Say”
18. Cameo, “Word Up!”
Yesterday’s anaerobic capacity workout. I’ll be doing a lot of these this month. My power profile revealed some great numbers for 5-seconds, 5-minutes, and 20-minutes–all at a 1/2 level–but my 1-minute power was lagging slightly behind at the upper edges of Cat3. These destroy legs.
It’s inauguration day and I’m marching in the parade. We’ll be the first band by the reviewing stand. (Not to be confused with the Presidential escort.) I’ll be in the 7th row, second person in on the side away from the reviewing stand. I’ll be Twittering from the event as well. Click here to follow along.
Yesterday’s ride done indoors on the trainer. With a good 4 months of endurance and LT riding in my legs, it’s time to start hitting the hard stuff (i.e. VO2 and AC efforts).
Took a trip up to Prettyboy and back yesterday. Nice, steady 4-hour and 15-minute ride.